Wednesday 11 October 2017

Wednesday - 15km

Today I realised how good a run we’ve had in terms of weather. While not shocking by any means, today was a heavy dose of reality. A very light sprinkle towards the end, it was a howling north-easterly seabreeze that made my living hell this morning! From the get go, running towards Queenscliff straight into it set the tempo and the mood for what laid ahead. Wednesday is my usual Shelly-Fairlight loop. Heading to Manly LSC, I made the most of the tailwind. Then up to Shelly I was straight into it again! The back half around Fairlight was thankfull sheltered somewhat, allowing myself to recompose - although I knew my fate for the final few kilometers, which I was dreading. And dreading was right, as the final stretch from Manly to Queenscliff was hell! I reckon I lost about 20 seconds per kilometer on that final mile (well, not quite ‘final’ mile, as I turn around about 200m past the bridge and run back home to North Steyne). I completely reset my expectations this morning, thinking a sub-56 would be a great time. So to get home in 55:18 (3:41’s), despite being slower than my last few runs, would have to be one of my best runs so far given the conditions! Glad that one is over and done with. We’ve been blessed with such amazing weather (albeit humid lately) that I’ve actually become a weather-snob (along with concurrently being a coffee-snob, an ocean-snob, and a hummus-snob). Don’t know how I’d deal with living in the UK one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment