Saturday 17 March 2018

Saturday - Parkrun

I finally hardened up this morning and did Parkrun. An easy jog to Curl Curl on a very humid morning, but I was actually feeling quite good. I was happy to see Andy turn up before the start, meaning I’d have someone to chase. As soon as the fun went, it was myself, Andy and another young (very fast) one who were breaking away from everyone else. My plan was to sit in behind them and just try to hang on as long as I could. Things started getting tough just after the 1km mark, and I felt myself dropping off. But then the young guy gapped Andy and before I knew it, I was right back on Andy’s tail. I sat there and regrouped until the 3km mark, where by this time I was ready to go again. So just before Harbord Rd, I surged and managed to drop Andy. Less than 2km to go, I told myself that I could really put down the hammer. And to my surprise, I started catching the young guy in front of me. I had no idea what pace I was running, but I was feeling good. I managed to catch him inside the final kilometer. Not really knowing what to do, I neither made a break or got dropped - I simply ran with him (in hindsight, I should have kept going when I caught him). Then with 200m to go, he took off and out three seconds into me at the finish line. Nevertheless, I was extremely happy to finish in 16:28 (3:18’s), much quicker than I had anticipated - especially in those conditions. Andy cam home in third about 20-30 seconds after. I got to catch up with a few others including Darren, Macca, and Matty at the end which was nice. Then a long cooldown along the beachfronts of Curl Curl, Freshwater and Manly. Absolutely drenched now!

No comments:

Post a Comment